Americans by heart : undocumented Latino students and the promise of higher education / William Pérez.
By: Pérez, William.Material type: TextSeries: Multicultural education series (New York, N.Y.): Publisher: New York : Teachers College Press, Copyright date: ©2012Description: xiv, 191 pages ; 23 cm.Content type: text Media type: unmediated Carrier type: volumeISBN: 9780807752838 (pbk. : alk. paper); 0807752835 (pbk. : alk. paper); 9780807752845 (alk. paper); 0807752843 (alk. paper).Subject(s): Hispanic Americans -- Education (Higher) | Hispanic Americans -- Education (Higher) -- Social aspects | Hispanic Americans -- Social conditions | Illegal aliens -- Education (Higher) -- United StatesDDC classification: 378.1/98268073 LOC classification: LC2670.6 | .P47 2012
|Item type||Current location||Call number||Status||Date due||Barcode|
|Book||University of Texas At Tyler Stacks - 3rd Floor||LC2670.6 .P47 2012 (Browse shelf)||Available||0000002139624|
Browsing University of Texas At Tyler Shelves , Shelving location: Stacks - 3rd Floor Close shelf browser
|LC2669 .P65 2011 The politics of Latino education /||LC2670.6 .A35 2004 Addressing the unique needs of Latino American students /||LC2670.6 .M35 2003 The majority in the minority :||LC2670.6 .P47 2012 Americans by heart :||LC2670 .D45 2004 Involving Latino families in schools :||LC2670 .S36 2003 Poor Latino families and school preparation :||LC2682 .C3 Mexican Americans in school:|
Includes bibliographical references (pages 155-176) and index.
1. Exceptional students, marginal lives -- Undocumented immigrants -- Undocumented children and young adults -- The study.
2. Growing up American and undocumented -- Socioeconomic characteristics of undocumented families -- Social and educational constraints -- Social and psychological resources -- Conclusion.
3. Academic engagement -- Academic resilience -- Academic engagement -- Extracurricular activities -- Conclusion.
4. Civic engagement -- Factors that shape civic engagement -- Undocumented student activism -- Conclusion.
5. The primary gateway to higher education -- The community college as gateway and gatekeeper -- Undocumented students at the community college -- Conclusion.
6. Undocumented college graduates and the impact of legal status -- Liminal legality -- Undocumented college graduates -- Legalization and integration -- Formerly undocumented college graduates -- Conclusion.
7. Conclusion -- Overview of main findings -- Immigrant paradox -- Next steps -- Final thoughts.